Spring Plumbing Tips
Refreshing your home with a thorough spring cleaning is satisfying and therapeutic.
When you’re cleaning out closets and giving everything a good once-over, don’t forget your plumbing in the mix.
Our team at A1 Sewer & Drain has compiled a list of tips and guidance on how to prepare and maintain your plumbing for the warmer months.
By following this advice, you can prevent plumbing issues, save on costly repairs, and ensure a smooth functioning system.
What to Do to Prepare Your Plumbing for Spring and Summer
Plumbing runs throughout your house, and there are different tasks recommended for different areas:
General Maintenance Tips
- Insulate Your Pipes: Pipe insulation helps year-round. It prevents freezing in colder seasons, helps maintain water heat for longer durations, and can save energy costs.
- Unused Drain Maintenance: Regularly pour water into seldom-used drains, preventing unwanted odors and ensuring drain readiness.
- Exposed Pipe Inspection: Checking for leaks early can prevent costly water damage.
- Sump Pump Test: Regular testing ensures readiness against flooding, which is common in many homes.
- Backflow Valve: Installing this in areas prone to sewer backups safeguards against potential indoor flooding.
- Leak Detection: A meter reading test can reveal silent leaks, saving you from hidden water costs.
- Flood Alarms: This is your early warning system against potential flooding, helping prevent water damage.
- Faucet Check: Regularly inspect for drips or leaks. By addressing these early, you conserve water and reduce bills.
- Drain Strainers: Ensure all drains have strainers. This keeps hair, soap, and debris out, maintaining a clog-free drainage system.
- Toilet Leak Detection: A simple food coloring test can reveal hidden leaks, which, when fixed, can save water and money.
- Tank & Bowl Examination: Checking for cracks ensures early detection, preventing potential water damage.
- Supply Valve Exercise: Regular use prevents valves under sinks and toilets from sticking, ensuring optimal function.
- Toilet Flush Efficiency: Replacing worn-out tank parts can lead to efficient flushes, ultimately saving water costs.
- Shower Head Maintenance: Cleaning mineral deposits improves water flow and extends the shower head’s lifespan.
- Garbage Disposal Maintenance: Food and other debris can get stuck in the garbage disposal, leading to clogs, leaks, and nasty smells. Use an Allen wrench under the unit to dislodge blockages, and regularly rinse with cool water.
- Water Heater Temperature: A setting no higher than 120°F is safer, preventing scalds and conserving energy.
- Sediment Flush: Draining the water heater periodically eliminates sediment, optimizing its efficiency and lifespan. Remember to turn off the power first to avoid burning the electrical element. If you’re unsure, consult a professional.
- Water Heater Replacement: Modern heaters, as opposed to those 15+ years old, consume less energy. If yours is nearing the end of its lifecycle, consider replacing it.
- Safe Storage: Ensure no flammable items are near water heaters or furnaces, preventing fire hazards.
- Appliance Hose Check: Regularly inspect hoses for wear, preventing potential water leaks and damage.
- Washing Machine Care: Cleaning the lint trap and adding a wire trap reduces clogging and improves machine efficiency.
- Drainage System Clearance: Keeping gutters and drains debris-free ensures effective water flow.
- Vent Pipe Inspection: Checking for bird nests ensures optimal vent functionality.
- Outdoor Faucet Check: Regular checks can highlight issues from winter damage, preventing potential water wastage.
- Check Hose Bibs: After a harsh winter, hose bibs can be the first to suffer. To avoid leaks and other problems, ensure they haven’t cracked from exposure to cold temperatures. Investing in fiberglass or Styrofoam covers can be a good solution to protect outdoor water faucets during winter.
Schedule an Inspection with A1 Today!
Regular maintenance can ward off large expenses in the future. Understanding and implementing these tips not only safeguards your home’s plumbing but also provides peace of mind.Keeping your home’s plumbing system in pristine condition requires a mix of vigilance and professional expertise. A1 Sewer & Drain offers specialized services to ensure your plumbing is ready for the warmer months. We highly recommend regular inspections, especially during seasonal transitions. Don’t leave it to chance. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.
Discover the seasonal threats to your plumbing and how to safeguard against potential damage with A1 Sewer & Drain's expertise.
Fast and Reliable Plumbing Solutions – Book Your Service Today!
Last Modified Date:
309 Quarles Rd Suite B
Ashland, VA 23005
516 S. Military Hwy
Virginia Beach, VA 23464